Alzheimer's Disease Awareness for Children
Resources and Storybooks for Librarians
Montana State University Extension is piloting an Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness for Children Storybook Program. The goal of the program is to increase awareness and knowledge about Alzheimer’s
disease and provide supportive resources to children and families in Montana. We are
encouraging parents to donate the storybook to their local library when they believe
the child has outgrown it.
Anyone who knows someone with Alzheimer’s and a young child who would benefit from gaining an understanding about this disease and the unusual behaviors that accompany it , is eligible to receive one FREE storybook. Here is the link to order form for the FREE storybook.
A downloadable Reading Guide accompanies each book, which can be used while reading the books. Perhaps you have one or more of the 8 books in your library.
The Reading Guides include:
- Questions to ask a child while reading the book
- Common reactions a child may have towards Alzheimer's disease
- Enrichment activities to help tie together the key ideas of each book
- Websites that provide information to support the whole family
Download the readings guides at this link.
Would you join MSU Extension by sharing information about the program to parents in your community? If you would like to share the program to parents who come into your library, please see marketing materials at this link.
These materials include:
- Social Media Post
- Storybook Poster (8.5 x 11)
- Business Cards and Bookmarks (Here is the link to order business cards and bookmarks)